After a month of beta testing, Apple today releases iOS 16.3 to all iPhone users. This update includes new ways to secure your Apple ID, changes to Emergency SOS, and more. There’s even a new wallpaper designed by Apple in honor of Black History Month.
Check out the full release notes below, including all the new features in iOS 16.3.
How to install iOS 16.3
iOS 16.3 and iPadOS 16.3 are available for all iPhone and iPad models starting today. You can update by going to the Settings app, selecting General, then Software Update. If you don’t see the update right away, keep checking as it sometimes takes a few minutes for it to apply to all iPhones and iPads. Updates are expected to be available to everyone within an hour.
When you start the installation process, your iPhone or iPad will download the update and then prompt you to reboot your device to complete the process. Please note that you will be unable to use your device while rebooting to install updates.
Apple is also releasing iOS 15.7.3 for older iPhones that don’t support iOS 16 and iOS 12.5.7 for devices that don’t support iOS 13 or later.
What’s new in iOS 16.3?
New features in iOS 16.3 include:
- A new Unity wallpaper celebrating Black history and culture in celebration of Black History Month.
- Security Keys for Apple IDs allow users to increase account security by requiring a physical security key as part of the 2-Step Verification sign-in process on new devices.
- Support for HomePod (2nd Gen)
- An emergency SOS call now requires pressing and then releasing the side button along with the volume up or down button to prevent inadvertent emergency calls.
This update also includes several bug fixes and improvements for iPhone users.
- Fixes an issue in Freeform where some drawing strokes created with Apple Pencil or finger may not appear on the share board.
- Addresses an issue that may cause the wallpaper to appear black on the lock screen
- Fixes an issue that could cause horizontal lines to intermittently appear while waking the iPhone 14 Pro Max
- Fix home lock screen widget not displaying home app status accurately
- Resolves an issue with Siri not responding properly to music requests
- Resolves an issue where CarPlay may not understand Siri requests correctly
What are you most looking forward to in iOS 16.3? Let me know in the comments.
FTC: Use automated affiliate links to earn. more.
For more Apple news, check out 9to5Mac on YouTube.